Friday, February 8, 2013

Introducing Nemo, the Blizzard of 2013 (10am report)

I thought I would chronicle the Blizzard of 2013 that is settling into New England.  Now I'm not a weather expert, so don't expect too much meteorological talk.   (Wow, that was a tough one to spell.)  This is just going to be my ramblings about the storm with a sprinkling of photos.  Now I have to warn you, if we lose power, which the town of Foxborough is known to do when the weather turns nasty, the blogging will come to a screeching halt until the power is restored.

Rumors about the blizzard began earlier in the week and they just got scarier each day.  It also didn't help that Feb. 6-7 was the 35th anniversary of the Blizzard of '78, which if you lived in New England at that time, is something you will never forget.  I was 7.  I won't make you do the math...I am now 42.  I do remember some things from the Blizzard of '78 - like the fact that my older sister and I were in elementary school and we didn't get home until after 5:00 on Feb. 6th because they didn't have enough buses running and those that were, it was slow going.  I also remember after the storm cleared out and people started venturing outside, my little sister was MAD because Mom wouldn't let her out in the snow.  She was 2 and Mom was afraid she would get buried.  And we later found out, rightfully so, as my hometown of Uxbridge was hit with tragedy when Peter Gosselin, who was 2 years ahead of me in school,  became buried in a snowbank and died. 

Anyway, let's get back to the Blizzard of 2013.  When I left my office in Boston yesterday, we were told that we were still planning to open, but to call the emergency line in the morning to check.  The Mayor of Boston, Tom Menino, was calling for everyone to be off the streets of Boston by Noon on Friday and schools were already announcing that they would be closed, so we were expecting that we would either close early or not open at all.  I got up at my normal time this morning and began preparing for work as usual.  I left the house just before 6:30 to head to the train station.  I had called the office emergency line twice before I left the house and it was still "business as usual".  I even checked again after I got to the train station.  No change.  So I got on the train when it rolled in at 6:48 and just as it pulled out of the station, my cell phone rang.  It was my friend, the office receptionist letting me know that she had just received the call that we would be closed.  The HR Director had even said to her, "call Raquel right away" in hopes that they would catch me before I was on the train.  Of course, had the MBTA been late, as it often is, I would have gotten the call in time.  Oh well.  So I rode the train to the 128 station, got off and then waited for the next one going back.

After I was back in my car, I headed to the gas station and then took a quick trip to Walgreens to pick up some more batteries.  Again, living in Foxboro, and the power outages we've endured in recent years, I am over preparing for this one.

Oh, and in case you are wondering...the forecast is for 16-24+ inches.  Yes, it could be more than 2 feet of snow!  The worst of it is supposed to be tonight, after 7pm and overnight into tomorrow morning.  And that is when the winds pick up too, strengthening to tropical storm / hurricane strength... prime conditions for power outages...and that is what makes it a blizzard instead of just a nor'easter - sustained winds of some ridiculous speed for a period of 3 hours or more.

Oh yes, and apparently now the weather folk have decided that they are going to name the big snowstorms, just like they name hurricanes.  And this one is named Nemo.  I'm not sure who's idea it was to name a giant blizzard after a cute little Disney fish, a clown fish at that, but I don't think we'll be laughing when the storm is over.  

So this is our 10am snowfall.  Just a light dusting so far.  




6 comments:

  1. OH what a great idea Raquel. I wasn't here for the storm of 78' My parents moved us to Washington State that year. I was 12, ya do the math I'm 47. My husband has great stories of the storm of 78' ya he was 20 dont do the math lol. Lets hope we get some good blogs, but that everyone is safe while doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. VERY well written, Kel!! And you always take great pictures. I would've gotten the treetops and no ground. I remember nothing but stories from the Blizzard of '78. The storm has been "Nemo" since before it rolled through the midwest. It actually took a more northern route and skirted Chicago but left us dry. Not sure why it's named after the little fishy either, but someone more west than me might know. Oh, and btw, now I know why I get so mad when it snows. Thanks mom. (lol)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice for the two sisters now in Illinois. I remember the Blizzard of '78. We built snow tunnels in our back yard and Dad had to walk down the middle of the street to get to the store and get milk. We missed so much school we didn't get a spring vacation that year. The snow was so high it was taller than our van in the driveway!

    I hope this storm finds everyone ready and treats you all well. We New Englanders are the hearty bunch though so sit back, eat your chowda' and enjoy the ride!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to remember to see if Dad still has the pictures from the Blizzard of '78. I remember the one of the van.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Weather Channel chose the name, and its website helpfully defines it. “Nemo: A Greek boy’s name meaning ‘from the valley,’ means ‘nobody’ in Latin.”

    Helpfully defines it??? Still makes no sense to me and I took a year of Latin in high school!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also suffered through a year of latin and yeah, I don't get it either. Memories of Latin class chill me more than any blizzard could. The picture I remember from the B of'78 is the one of the front of the house w/me in the window of the front door. I was banging on the door in protest over being denied access to tons of fluffy white snow.

    ReplyDelete